Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blue Ombre Petal Cake

Another late night photo...Don't judge me.

Being that it’s father’s day this Sunday for us Australian folks who live on the right side of the world, I’m dedicating this post to dear old Dad.

I usually ask my friends and clients for 2 weeks notice for any cake orders. So last Saturday, when my dad said: “Vicky, you know you gotta make a cake for my friend’s birthday for Wednesday right?”

Um… No? First I’d heard of this cake! Sheesh.

My mum used to hate being around my Dad and I when we were together, because we always bicker. Hard. About anything. And everything. But that’s just how we roll! And Mum never really understood that. Dad and I would fight about everything under the sun, and within 5 minutes, be all chummy again. We knew it was friendly, even when it wasn’t.

In any case, I had a busy weekend, which left last night to do the cake. The ombre petal effect is something I’ve been meaning to try for a little while so I felt this was a good opportunity, seeing as Dad didn’t know what kind of a cake he wanted.

A few hours later, and I was done :) . This morning, i.e. the morning of the day he wanted the cake, Dad waltzes in and says “Gee it’s a bit small.” Guess what? Dad forgot to tell me that the cake is for a 50th birthday celebration, and is meant to serve 30 people. Good one, Dad. Thankfully the cake isn’t that small. Hopefully, he’ll be able to get 30 small servings if he cuts it right. And she wonders why we bicker.

The cake is yellow cake with vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream frosting.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails